December 4, 2007

Sheep in the Herd?

Are any of us really unique? Or has everyone been molded into a stereotype? I like to think of myself as being different. I like to think I'm "not just another teenager". Am I really different though? Doesn't everyone like to think of themselves as being different? What makes me different?

  • I don't smoke: There's loads of other people that don't smoke.
  • I don't do drugs: There's loads of other people that don't do drugs.
  • I don't drink: There's loads of other people that don't drink.

let's look at things I do/am rather than what I don't do.

  • I'm transgender: There are many other transgender people. (which I am rather thankful for honestly. I wouldn't want to be the only trans person. That'd be hard.)
  • I have mood swings: A lot of people have mood swings.
  • I like computers: I don't think I need to continue to point out that other people share this characteristic.
  • I like to read.
  • I have "odd" thought paterns.
  • I have night terrors.
  • I have panic attacks.
  • I was raised Catholic.
  • I do not like organised religion.
These are just a few. So if no single thing about me is unique, does that mean I am not unique? I got to thinking about this last night. I started thinking "I don't matter. I'm just another stereotype. I'm just another statistic." Of course, if I follow this train of thought, that would mean that no one else is unique either. Everyone else is just some stereotype. I cannot believe that though. I think everyone is special in their own way. It sounds incredibly corny I know. I would never tell someone they don't matter or that they are "just another part of the crowd". Why though? Because I don't want to hurt their feelings? No... I mean, yea, it's true I would not want to hurt their feelings but I do honestly believe that everyone is special.

Maybe it isn't each of our characteristics that make us unique/special but the combination of the charactersistics. Our experiances, and our physical and psychological traits form who we are and although we may share some of those traits with other people, we do not share 100% of those traits and therefore we are not exactly like anyone else.